Madison Core Labs is a state-of-the-art, full-service independent clinical laboratory. We are passionate about what we do and are dedicated to providing excellent service that will make positive changes in the lives of those we serve. Our facility is in Huntsville, Alabama which has been named as the Number 1 Best Place to Live by U.S. News & World Report for 2022-2023.
We are seeking an experienced accountant to serve in the role of Controller. The ideal candidate will have proven industry experience as an accountant, preferably in a senior role. As a strong communicator and skilled financial analyst, you will make it your mission to improve our operational efficiency and aid in our continued growth through enhanced budgeting and financial reporting processes.
Objectives of Controller position:
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and the Staff Accountant to maintain the daily accounting function.
- Provide comprehensive financial updates to senior management by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting appropriate data points.
- Guide financial decisions by applying Company policies and procedures to current economic landscape.
- Develop, implement, and maintain financial controls and guidelines.
- Help develop and support short and long-term operational strategies
- In conjunction with the CFO, establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards on a bi-weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage general ledger accounts and maintain GAAP accounting; assist CFO in generating monthly GAAP basis financial statements.
- Manage prepaid expenses and accrued liabilities. (Record appropriate journal entries to set up prepaid expenses and accrued liabilities as well as to properly amortize or expense these items.) Recognize the types of transactions needing to be recorded as prepaid expenses or accrued liabilities.
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Manage accounts payable and expense reimbursements.
- Enforce internal controls to maximize protection of Company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures.
- Manage monthly bank reconciliations.
- Achieve budgeting goals with proper scheduling, analysis, and corrective action.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation.
- Oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field.
- Professional accounting certification, CPA highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of finance law and regulatory standards (GAAP).
- Strong understanding of economic and banking processes.
- 7+ years proven accounting experience as a senior-level accounting or finance manager.
- Candidate must be a hands-on, independent problem solver.
- Strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis.
- Exemplary history of financial project management.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting.
- NetSuite and QuickBooks (desktop) experience a plus. (Company currently uses NetSuite. Older information is in QuickBooks.)
- Experience with Bill.com.
- Experience in healthcare industry, experience with Laboratories preferred.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
Competitive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, Life, AD&D, Short and Long-Term Disability, PTO, and 401K with match. Compensation commensurate with experience. Bonus is possible. Opportunities for advancement are available.
Background check and drug test required. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/DFWP/Tobacco-Free.
Madison Core Laboratories, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer. Applicants receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please call (256) 850-0075 to let us know the nature of your request.